70 things I love about Barbra Streisand!
Today is Barbra Streisand’s 70th birthday as you know.
I posted some videos earlier today but just read this awesome feature over on AfterElton.com by Louis Virtel in which he lists 70 things he loves about Barbra.
It inspired me to do my own list!
Here goes – in no particular order:
1. Her stupendous rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone at the 2001 Emmy Awards – just a short time after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
2. The gorgeous Love Comes From the Most Unexpected Places from her Superman album.
3. My Man from Funny Girl.
4. The fabulous surprise cameo at the end of the Madonna/Rosanne Coffee Talk sketch on Saturday Night Live in 1992.
5. The dramatic Grammy Awards duet of You Don’t Bring Me Flowers with Neil Diamond.
6. Woman in the Moon in one of the concert scenes of A Star is Born.
7. Coming in and Out of Your Life from the early-80s Memories album.
8. I’m the Greatest Star from Funny Girl.
9. Her opening number from her comeback 1994 concert tour: It’s As If We Never Said Goodbye from Sunset Boulevard.
10. The Broadway Album.
11. Back to Broadway.
12. Stoney End.
13. The dance in the street with Jeff Bridges at the end of The Mirror Has Two Faces.
14. Walking in the beach scene with Robert Redford in The Way We Were and Streisand’s Katie falls down laughing over baby names.
15. Papa Can You Hear Me from Yentl.
16. The No More Tears (Enough is Enough) duet with Donna Summer.
17. The 1986 concert she had in her backyard in Malibu and made into album One Voice.
18. Guilty with Barry Gibb.
19. The Way We Were – the movie.
20. The Way We Were – the song.
21. What’s Up Doc? opposite Ryan O’Neal.
22. Every moment of the Don’t Rain on My Parade number from Funny Girl.
23. The first words of her Oscar speech when she won for Funny Girl: ‘Hello, gorgeous!’
25. The With One More Look at You/Watch Closely Now medley at the end of A Star is Born.
26. Somewhere from The Broadway Album.
27. The Happy Days Are Here Again/Get Happy duet with Judy Garland on The Judy Garland Show.
28. The lunch scene with Brenda Vacarro from The Mirror Has Two Faces and they split the salad and the hamburger in a nod to one of them no longer being heavy.
30. The “Your girl is lovely Hubbel” line from the final scene in The Way We Were.
31. The performance of People in Funny Girl.
32. The Higher Ground album.
33. 2004 Inside the Actors Studio appearance.
34, The scene in A Star is Born when she tells Kris Kristofferson’s character who she has just caught cheating: “You can trash your life but you’re not going to trash mine.”
35. The afro hairstyle from the 1976-80 period.
36. Her fingernails in The Prince of Tides.
37. The Tell Him duet with Celine Dion.
38. Smile from The Movie Album.
39. The morning scene with Lauren Bacall in The Mirror Has Two Faces when Streisand’s character asks her mother: ‘What was it like? To be beautiful.’ Bacall’s character admits: ‘It was wonderful.’
40. The Woman in Love single from Guilty album.
41. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes from the Love is the Answer album.
42. The crazy scenes with Dustin Hoffman in Meet the Fockers.
43. All I Ask of You from Till I Loved you album.
44. Everything from A Star is Born album.
45. The Oscar-nominated I Finally Found Someone duet with Bryan Adams from The Mirror Has Two Faces.
46. If I Could from Higher Ground album.
47. 1967′s A Christmas Album.
48. The dramatic courtroom scene in the movie Nuts.
49. The break-up scene with Robert Redford in The Way We Were.
50. The title song of the album Songbird.
51. New York State of Mind from Superman album.
52. I Believe in Love from concert scene in A Star is Born.
53. Queen Bee number from A Star is Born.
54. The Way He Makes Me Feel from Yentl.
55. Don’t Believe What You Read from Superman album.
56. 2010 appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show.
57. Prince of Tides.
58. The moment at the end of The Way We Were when Streisand’s Katie fixes Hubbel’s hair.
59. Second Hand Rose from Funny Girl.
60. The title song of The Main Event.
61. Moon River from The Movie Album.
62. The ‘Till Loved You duet with then-boyfriend Don Johnson.
63. The scene in Yentl when Mandy Patikin’s character discovers that his male friend Anshel is really a woman named Yentl.
64. What’s Up Doc?
65. Appearance on The Rosie O’Donnell Show in 1997 that had Rosie in tears.
66. The infamous 60 Minutes interview with Mike Wallace during which he makes her cry.
67. Joining Judy Garland and Ethel Merman to perform There’s No Business Like Show Business on The Judy Garland Show.
68. Lost Inside of You duet with Kris Kristofferson from A Star is Born.
69. The see-though pantsuit she wore to the Oscars the year she won for Funny Girl.
70. Somewhere from The Broadway Album.
71. Her dramatic performance in Up the Sandbox.
72. Performance of America the Beautiful from I Love Liberty television special.
73. The love scene when she gets into bed with Robert Redford in The Way We Were.
74. What Kind of Fool duet with Barry Gibb from Guilty album.
75. My Heart Belongs to Me from Superman album.
Okay, there’s my list! While I love so much of her work, this exercise has made me realize that I’m not very familiar with her early albums or TV specials and that I’m indifferent about some of her movies including Hello! Dolly, The Main Event, All Night Long and even Funny Lady.
Would love to hear from some of you! What are your favorite Barbra moments?